Homemade laundry detergent is another fabulous way for me and my family to live a more frugal lifestyle. It’s amazing how much laundry detergent you can go through! With my homemade laundry detergent, you’ll be able to stretch those hard earned bucks, get MORE detergent for your home, and you’ll know exactly what ingredients are going to wash your clothes. You won’t have to worry about all of those harmful chemicals inside of your detergent that no one can hardly pronounce, because you’ll be making your own homemade laundry detergent! All of this sounds fabulous to me, as I like to try to keep those pesky chemicals off my children’s skin and out of my home.
Homemade laundry detergent
I love this recipe and have been using it for over three years! This recipe costs me about $19.00 annually to make myself. 1 batch will last my family of five, almost 3 months. For my homemade laundry detergent, I just made a fresh batch yesterday and used Zote soap. I’ve always used the Fels Naptha in the past, but wanted to try something new to see how it does. So far so good 🙂 Enjoy!
Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipe
Gather your supplies:
- 1-5 quart or larger stock pot in which to boil ingredients
- 1-5 gallon bucket for storing laundry soap
- 2 cups of Borax (I use Mule brand)
- 2 cups Arm & Hammer washing soda (it’s not the same as baking soda)
- 1 bar of either Fels Naptha or Zote soap, grated.
1. Fill your stock pot with water to about 4″ from the top.
2. Bring water to a boil, turn heat down to medium/low then add your grated soap, Borax, and washing soda AFTER the boiling stops.
3. Turn the temperature down to low, cover, and let “simmer” for about an hour. Stir every 10 minutes to help the soap to dissolve.
4. Very carefully pour hot mixture into 5 gallon bucket. Finish filling the bucket with hot water until the level is about 3 inches from the rim. Cover and let sit for 24 hours.
Use 1/4 cup of mixure for a full load of laundry 🙂
If you loved my homemade laundry detergent, then maybe you’ll love some of these other DIY projects:
- Back To School Hacks To Save Your Sanity
- Winter Wonderland Crafts
- Fun DIY Minnie Mouse Diaper “Cake”
- Easy and Fun DIY Easter Egg Wreath
- No Sew Super Hero Cape