Summer in south Louisiana, and many other places, means BUGS! I really do hate bugs, especially those that bite and leave such wonderful itchy bumps. And the kids really have a hard time not scratching. And scratching can lead to infections. So if you or the kids end up with some bad bug bites this summer, you’ll be surprised at how many items you have around the house that will make great bug bite remedies.
Here are some homemade bug bite remedies that will hopefully ease the pain of bug bites this summer.
*Before you try any of these be sure to remove the stinger.
1. Ice Pack ~ An ice pack will do wonders for a bug bite. You can use it alone or in conjunction of any of the other remedies below.
2. Banana peel ~ You can either scrape off the inside of a banana peel or apply the entire peel to the bite and let it sit for about 90 minutes.
3. Lemon ~ You can either slice a lemon and apply directly to the sting or make a compress with lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to help reduce the venom’s toxicity and relieve pain.
4. Toothpaste ~ Applying toothpaste directly to the bite should immediately help take away the sting. Let the toothpaste dry then wash off after about an hour.
5. Tea bag ~ Place a tea bag soaked in cold water directly on the bite and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
6. Baking soda ~ Make a paste out of equal parts baking soda and water. Apply this directly to the bug bite.
7. Aspirin ~ Make a paste with crushed Aspirin and water. Apply directly to the bite and let dry. Leave overnight then wash it off in the morning.
8. Mouthwash ~ Soak a cotton ball in mouthwash and apply it to the bite.
9. Epsom salt ~ Bathing in Epsom salt is a great way to reduce the inflammation from a sting or bite. You can find Epsom salt at your local grocery store or you can buy it HERE.
10. Aloe Vera ~ You can either apply Aloe Vera straight from the plant to the sting or bite or buy Aloe Vera gel at your local drug store. You can also find Aloe Vera gel HERE.
The best way to stop the sting is just to stay away from bugs, but that’s not always possible. Read more about natural ways to keep the bugs away HERE.
* * Be sure to consult your doctor if the irritation persists or gets worse * *