American Flag Cake for Memorial Day/4th of July
I saw a patriotic cake while surfing the web and knew I needed to try it! This was SUPER easy and fun to make. My kids think I’m a genius for “figuring it out” LOL If you bake often, then you won’t even need the instructions, just a little nudge in the patriotic direction and VOILA! Use your favorite white cake mix and white icing and there you go. I even used a strawberry cake mix for the red layer this last time and it was amazing!
Gather your supplies:
- 2 white cake mixes
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 2 boxes of cream cheese
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 1~ 9X12 baking pan
- 1 pt fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- Red food coloring
- Blue food coloring
Get to baking:
- Mix both cake mixes together in a large bowl with the eggs and vegetable oil for about 2 minutes on medium speed with a mixer.
- Pour about 3 cups of the batter into a smaller mixing bowl and mix in 30 drops of blue food coloring. Place the remaining batter in the refrigerator.
- Pour the blue batter into the greased 9X12 baking pan and bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix the cream cheese (room temperature) and powdered sugar and almond extract in a mixing bowl. Allow it to remain at room temperature until it is used.
- Carefully remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool. After the cake has cooled, place it on a platter or board for decorating.
- Pour about 3 cups of the undyed white cake batter in the prepared 9X12 pan and allow to cook in the 350 degree oven for 25-35 minutes. While the cake is baking, spread about 1/4 of the icing on the blue layer of the cake.
- While you are waiting on the final cake to bake, slice the strawberries lengthwise.
- Remove the white cake layer from the oven and allow to cool. Once it is cool, place it on top of the iced blue layer and spread about 1/4 of the icing on the white layer.
- Place about 30 drops of red food coloring in the remaining cake batter and mix well. Pour the batter in a prepared 9X12 cake pan and bake for 25-35 minutes. Once the cake has been removed from the oven and cooled, repeat the steps for icing the entire cake with the remaining icing.
- Place the blueberries in a square pattern on the top corner of the cake, then place the strawberry slices in a stripes pattern on the cake.