Red, White and Blue Snowcone Cupcakes
Red, White and Blue Snowcone Cupcakes. Again, I was surfing Pinterest and just HAD to try my own version of this super cute recipe. I have dumbed it down for my own taste. Y’all know how I love simple. These are perfect for Memorial Day or Forth of July. I also love homemade icing, so you will notice that I use the same icing recipe a LOT 🙂 Here we go!
Gather your ingredients:
- 1 box white cake mix (you can substitute your favorite)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 egg whites
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 package cream cheese
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Blue food coloring
- Red food coloring
- Cupcake pan
- Cupcake pan liners
- Red, white & blue sugar crystals
- Mix the cake mix as directed on the package and pour into cupcake pan (with liners already in place). Fill each liner 2/3 full with batter. A great tip on getting your cupcakes to release from the liners when eating is to spray the liners with non-stick cooking spray before filling with cake batter.
- Bake cupcakes for approximately 20 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool.
- While cupcakes are baking mix the cream cheese (room temperature) and powdered suger on low speed until well blended.
- Divide the icing into 3 equal parts and place in 3 separate, small mixing bowls. Drop 20-30 drops of blue food coloring into 1 bowl of icing and 20-30 drops of red food coloring into another bowl of icing. Leave the third bowl of icing white. Mix each bowl of icing until the color is well blended.
- Using a butter knife or spreader, spread a stripe of white icing down the middle of each cupcake. Next spread blue down one side of each cupcake then blue down the other side.
- Sprinkle the white stripe with white sugar crystals, red stripe with red sugar crystals, and blue stripe with blue sugar crystals.
- Place each cupcake in a cup of your choice and pop a straw in the top and VOILA! You have cupcakes that look like snowcones