Clean Eating Grilled Cheese
Okay y’all, when I first thought of making this recipe; I wasn’t too enthusiastic. I have been eating ‘clean’ for two weeks now and am kinda over pita bread. I have seen a million variations on grilled cheese sandwiches, but not this one…yet 🙂 I didn’t want anything too tomato-ey, because that can get to be a bit overwhelming. This recipe is the PERFECT combination of tomatoes, cheese, spinach, and pita bread. I am urging you to TRY THIS RECIPE even if it doesn’t look great to you. It is WAY more delicious than you can imagine.
Gather your ingredients:
- 2 Whole wheat pitas
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 4 oz Mozzarella cheese
- 6 Leaves of spinach
- 2t Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
Get to cooking:
- Preheat nonstick skillet on medium.
- Slice your pita bread in half to make 4 half circles, then brush or spray 1t EVOO on each side facing up.
- Place 1 half of pita, olive oil side down, in preheated skillet.
- Once the pita is in the skillet, brush the other side with EVOO, then layer with 3 spinach leaves, 2 oz mozzarella cheese, and enough tomato slices to cover the bread. Add salt to taste.
- Let cook on medium for 5 minutes then flip and cook on 5 minutes on other side.
- Gently remove the sandwich from the pan and serve!