Mexican Chicken Potato Skillet
Mexican Chicken Potato Skillet. Do you love cooking in your cast iron skillets like I do? I have a great collection and love putting them to great use.
This is perfect for any night, but I think Fridays will be best in our house! This is super easy and only takes one dish. I love to use chicken breasts or chicken tenders that I get on sale for this dish; it is great for keeping the breast moist. Mexican dishes are always a hit with everyone and I think we’re going to try this one next week 😀 My husband always asks why I don’t cook this more often when I cook it LOL
- 6-8 medium russet potatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2# chicken breast cut into 1″ cubes
- Old El Paso chipotle cooking sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded colby jack cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped for garnish
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
Get to cooking:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease large iron skillet well then spread chicken in the bottom.
- Sprinkle the chopped yellow onion on top of the chicken.
- Spread potatoes on top of onions and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour cooking sauce on top of potatoes and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour then uncover and bake an additional 20-30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake uncovered in 350 degree oven for 5 minutes; just long enough to melt cheese.
- Carefully remove the dish from the oven and add sour cream, green onions, and tomatoes before serving.
- This dish will easily serve 6-8 people.
If you loved this recipe, try these other great recipes from Acadiana’s Thrifty Mom: