As many of you already know, I bought a soy milk maker a couple of weeks ago in an attempt to eat healthier without breaking the bank. Well, I’m happy to report that it was a HUGE success! Since receiving my Easy-Clean Automatic Hot Soy Milk…
6 Thrifty ways to FIGHT THE BITE ~ Don’t Get Bitten By Mosquitoes
Here in south Louisiana, there are few things that BUG us more than mosquitoes. We deal with them year-round, yes we even have them in January! I have compiled a list of easy, homemade ways to repel and treat mosquitoes.
Wear light color clothing ~ Mosquitoes prefer darker colors. Long pants and long sleeves are not as uncomfortable as you may think in the middle of the summer.
Catnip ~ Use catnip! Catnip is an herb that is easy to grow in a small garden or your window sill. The American Chemical Society has reported that researchers found nepetalactone, the essential oil in catnip (Nepeta cataria), to be about 10 times more effective at repelling mosquitoes than DEET. They only take a couple of weeks to grow and VOILA! You can even grow them around the outside of your house to help keep the mosquito population at bay.
Lavender ~ We use a mixture with lavender oil in it to help keep the mosquitoes at bay around our house. If you have a bit of a green thumb, you can even plant it in your garden or flower bed to help keep these pesky bugs at bay. Lavender is beautiful, easy to grow and spreads quickly.
Citronella plant ~ These are also called “mosquito plants”. You can find them just about anywhere that sells plants. They are very fragrant and grow easily in any garden or flower bed.
Aloe Vera ~ This is another super easy and cheap way to fight the bite! These wonder plants grow quickly and help soothe the itching from mosquito bites. You can get the plants for less than $5 right here in Acadiana. You can even buy the gel if you don’t want to bother with the plant. I would strongly urge you to buy the plant because they are a lot more fun to grow!
Apple cider vinegar ~ Apple cider vinegar applied right away is a great way to counteract the histamine reaction in your skin and keep the swelling to a minimum.
Garlic ~ You may think “peeeeeew” when you think about rubbing garlic on your skin, but this natural herb is great at keeping the mosquitoes away and even take the itch away if you’ve already been bitten! Making a paste in the blender is the best way to use this super-herb!
Toothpaste ~ Yes, toothpaste! Toothpaste contains peppermint oil which contains menthol which is a local anesthetic. Menthol is also water soluble which means it will work its way into the skin quickly!
** Do not use any of the natural herbs listed here if you have an allergy to them. You can check by applying a small amount to a small area of your skin and waiting 24 hours to see if you have a reaction.
Get Staycation FEVER Acadiana!
Get Staycation FEVER Acadiana! Summer is quickly approaching and spring break has come and gone for many of you. There is no better time to start planning your very own staycation right her in Lafayette or anywhere in Acadiana. My favorite way to save money is with a super fun staycation!
My husband says I’m the “Staycation Queen” LOL I love to get out in our area and explore all the fun things there are to do right here in Acadiana. You can do it too, whether you live in Acadiana or Alaska! There are fun things to do everywhere if you just look for them. Here are the top 5 ways to save on summer fun no matter where you live:
1. Explore your parks! Almost every small town has a park and bigger cities have many parks. Find a nice, out-of-the-way park and go exploring. Find new parks and drive to your nearest state park. We love the parks! With a small bag of charcoal, a pack of hot dogs, and a few bottles of water, VOILA! We have a staycation day planned 🙂 My kids LOVE to go for a nature hike on the trails of Chicot State Park.
2. Buy a tent! I’m telling you, a $50 tent from amazon.com or Walmart can make this summer the best your kids have ever had. We actually bought a tent, outdoor stove, and queen size inflatable bed for $60 on Craigslist last summer and have taken several camping trips to our nearest state park. We have also had many backyard camping trips. A 5-6 man tent is a great addition to your summer fun arsenal.
3. Buy a membership! One of the best values out there is a year membership to your local children’s museum, aquarium, or zoo. These are usually very affordable and pay off very well. Usually, with membership, you will not only pay a fraction of the regular admission price, but you will also get invitations to special “members only” events that are FREE for members and lots of fun!
4. Stay Gadget FREE! Turn off your phone, put away the Nintendo, Kindle, and iPad, and close your laptop (not right now =)! Plan to stay “out of touch” while on your staycation. This will make it more relaxing and worth remembering. Even if you’re just packing a picnic for the backyard, stay disconnected from everything going on outside of your staycation.
5. Use your daily deal sites! This is a great time to sign up for those daily deal sites that offer local deals. These sites are PERFECT for finding little gems in your hometown. We are always trying new restaurants and venues at half price thanks to our local daily deal sites. Here are the 4 I check daily: BargainBee, Deal Chicken, Living Social, and Seize The Deal. Go check them out and see if you can find some deals in your town 🙂
The most important thing about any stay(va)cation is that you have fun and make it memorable ♥
To reserve your space for Only $5 Call today at (337)236-3532.
Free BBQ Dinner for the 1st 100 vendors who comes out and sells.
Hundreds of shoppers seeking bargains in one location an avoid hassle of people coming to your home; no early bird shoppers.
8am to 5pm
3011 N.W. Evangeline Thwy, Lafayette, LA 70507 ·
Ticket Info: $5.00