Classic Southern Tomato Pie
If you even remotely like tomatoes or pizza; you have to try this classic southern tomato pie! This is a summer staple around our house. My oldest daughter and I can eat tomato pie for breakfast, lunch or supper! I’ve even been known to add a few eggs and turn it into a tomato quiche for brunch. Being from the south, I was born with a love for home grown tomatoes. I usually choose Roma tomatoes for tomato pie because they don’t tend to lose as much moisture, thus not creating a soggy pie. This pie is perfect even if you don’t love tomatoes. It’s not as “tomato-y” as you might think. I would challenge you to try it, if you like pizza and let me know what you think. I hope you enjoy it as much as our family does 😀
Gather your ingredients:
- 10 medium Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 8 green onions, diced
- 10 fresh, medium basil leaves, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 Tbsp corn starch
- 2 deep dish pie crusts
Get to baking!
- Poke holes in the bottom of the pie shells with a fork and bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 10 minutes
- While the pie shells are baking, prepare tomatoes, basil, and onions.
- Mix mayonnaise and cheeses in a large bowl
- Once the pie shells are finished baking, sprinkle each shell with 1 Tbsp of corn starch each then layer each shell with 1/4 sliced tomatoes.
- Next layer 1/4 onions and basil on top of tomatoes in each pie shell and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle each pie with 1 Tbsp of corn starch each. Be sure to sprinkle the corn starch evenly across each entire pie. This helps soak up the juice from the tomatoes and create a more stiff pie.
- Next, layer each shell with remaining tomato slices divided evenly between pies.
- Layer remaining basil and onions divided equally between pies and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the cheese mixture between each pie until each pie is evenly covered and all of the topping has been used.
- Place both pies on a cookie sheet and bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
* * Helpful hint * * I always cover the edges of the pies with aluminum foil before baking, this keeps the edges of the pie shell from burning.